Friday, April 29, 2011

Planned Parenthood in Indiana

I regularly read my hometown newspaper to keep abreast of issues in southern Indiana, nice to keep in touch with my roots.  I recently came across this story about Indiana's plans to cut all federal funds to the Planned Parenthood locations within its borders.  I can't tell you I was very surprised, as I recall the right to lifer's dominate in Indiana.  The kiss of death to many southern Indiana politicians is to declare that they are pro-choice.  The problem with all of this of course is that the federal government is banned from providing funds for abortions already in the Hyde Amendment.  The new movement in Indiana effectively bans funding for family planning (birth control), cancer screenings, STI testing, STI information and counseling, and the multitude of other services they provide.  I personally know many that have received these services from Planned Parenthood, and have remained healthy because of it.  Sometimes I am amazed at where I come from, and the callousness of the politicians that are able to hold power there.  The state congress should be ashamed of themselves, and Hoosiers should make sure they are not re-elected.

No comments:

Post a Comment